Being gluten free, pizza may seem like a strange favorite in my house. But with so many great gluten free crust options, my kids really love it. We order most of our bread and pizza crust from Katz Gluten Free Bakery. I then take the crust, which is pretty inexpensive, and make gluten free pepperoni pizza for lunches. My children love pizza. I mean, who doesn’t? But they would eat it for every meal if I let them. My six year old son is a bit small for his age, and we need him to bulk up. So I decided to make pepperoni pizza on chicken to get the extra protein in there.
There is something so summer-ish about grilling chicken. The smell of the chicken…the heat coming off the grill…dogs pacing around hoping you drop a bite, and the kids playing in the yard. It’s pretty much perfect. If you are looking for a change, this dish is a fun alternative to traditional marinated chicken, and even BBQ. Similar to chicken parmesan, but a bit healthier since it is grilled and not breaded and fried. This even works with my grain free diet.
PEPPERONI PIZZA CHICKEN
- Chicken breasts sliced thin (however many you need)
- Spaghetti sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Sea salt
- Place chicken on the grill and sprinkle with garlic and salt.
- Grill until fully cooked. Top with spaghetti sauce, cheeses and pepperoni.
- Leave on the grill a minute or two until cheese is melted.
- For a crispier pepperoni, broil briefly in the oven.
- Serve with spaghetti, garlic bread, or spaghetti squash, and enjoy!
For a dairy-free alternative, use a dairy-free cheese, or simply omit the cheese.